So first the big news. We are about to end the Hosting Beta program and make it an official service for all MinecraftEdu customers!
What does this mean for you?
First, rest assured, that you can keep using all of the servers, worlds, and accounts that you created during the Beta.
Next, you should be aware that the official pricing of the hosting service is increasing from $20 to $25 per month. But as a Thank You for helping with the Beta test, we would like to offer the following (depending on your subscription type):
Monthly subscribers will receive credit for one free month of service Pre-paid customers can keep their locked-in rate for the remainder of their subscription. Renewals will be at the newer rate. Finally, you will be required to make an update to your MinecraftEdu software. We made some changes under the hood. You servers will keep working with the current software for now, but eventually you will need to update to keep using the service. Keep an eye out for update information.
Also, if you had to make changes to a firewall on your network connect to your servers, you may have to tweak your firewall settings again.
You can read about all the technical details in our Beta Exit FAQ (included below)
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to Contact Us. We look forward to hosting your MinecraftEdu adventures in the future!
~The MinecraftEdu Hosting Team
What exactly is changing from Beta to Release? A number of features will be added and changed with the Release:
- We will be release a new build of MinecraftEdu client and server applications, stable build 21. This update is mostly some bug fixes, and a number of changes under the hood. We recommend that all beta participants upgrade their client installations, and server. Remember, if you upgrade your clients, you should also upgrade your server from the Hosted Server Control Panel.
- Upon upgrading to the new client, some additional network configuration may be required.
- With the end of the Beta, the monthly cost for the service has increased from $20.00 USD per month for each server instance, to $25.00 USD per month for each server instance. But as a thank you for helping with the Beta test, we would like to offer the following (depending on your subscription type):
- Monthly subscribers will receive credit for a free month of service
- Pre-paid customers can keep their locked-in rate for the remainder of their subscription. Renewals will be at the newer rate.
- We have added the ability to purchase additional server subscriptions, and to renew your existing subscription to the MinecraftEdu Store! Verified customers can automatically renew and add additional service months with a credit card through our secure webstore. No more paper credit authorizations!
- Added custom flat world support to the Hosting Server Control Panel. The system is analogous to the local MinecraftEdu server software, so it will accept custom text strings to generate 1.7.10 custom Minecraft superflat worlds.
What do I need to change in my network settings? With this client upgrade, some additional network configuration will be required. Those schools who have had to previously modify their internet firewalls and traffic filters, will need to modify those settings again. There is a planned migration of these services, and once you update your software, this change will be mandatory. (We promise it’s the last time!) DO NOT REPLACE the current settings, but ADD these additional exceptions.
For today, and until we officially move to release - the domains to make exception for are:
- hosting.minecraftedu.com: (port 80 or 443)
- minecraft-proxy-us.minecraftedu.com: (port 25565)
- minecraft-proxy-ie.minecraftedu.com: (port 25565)
- minecraft-proxy-au.minecraftedu.com: (port 25565)
Additional domain settings are as follows :
- hosting.teachergaming.com: (port 80 or 443)
- minecraft-proxy-us.hosting.teachergaming.com: (port 25565)
- minecraft-proxy-us2.hosting.teachergaming.com: (port 25565)
- minecraft-proxy-ie.hosting.teachergaming.com: (port 25565)
- minecraft-proxy-au.hosting.teachergaming.com: (port 25565)
We don’t expect the actual IP addresses of these domains to change, so if you need to specify them, they are as follows:
- (All regions) 18.104.22.168 (port 80 or 443)
- (US) 22.214.171.124 (port 25565)
- (EU) 126.96.36.199 (port 25565)
- (AU) 188.8.131.52 (port 25565)
What is the difference in cost? The new subscription cost is now $25 per month for each server instance. This applies to recurring payments, as well as prepaid subscriptions.
What about my current subscription? Pre-paid Beta participants will continue their existing subscriptions. The new cost will apply to renew or add additional subscriptions Recurring month-to-month Subscriptions will receive one free month of service, and then the new rate will be applied on the next billing cycle.
Will I get to keep my worlds and saves from Beta? Yes! All of your worlds and servers are all still in the same place.